Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Living the dream!

No! This is no inspirational enthusiastic story on how to live life! It is one of my assigments here. Yes, yes assignments do get interesting once in a while.

Living the dream- Dream a dream tour for yourself. Assume that you are going to retire in fifteen years and then calculate and see if you can afford that from you savings 15 years from now and still live the same lifestyle as you are now.

I took it for granted that I would have sufficient money. I was in for a surprise. Calculations showed that I would be left with an abysmal amount of money after my dream tour! Of course to make things look good on the excel I made adjustments so that i would be left with enough dough for a living later on. But the assignment has left me thinking about how I should channel my money. It is hard to imagine that after working and standing on your own for a long time, retirement hits you hard!

Gotta watch out! Investments,savings et all. Traders here I come!

6 comments:

Vish said...

This will be very very handy

Still Searching said...

Wow, this is like a wake-up call for me! I never thought of the future this way.. always thought there'll always be enough!

What you said reminds me of what a friend of mine just told me last week.. he said "you should make (earn and save) enough money in these 5 yrs, so that if you decide then to take some 'time off' and relax and step back a little, you should have enough money to sustain yourself".. hmm..

Can you share the excel sheet template with me so I can make my own calculations?!! Hehe..

Btw, havent you made some changes in your blog template? I think I remember visiting your blog before, but I dont remember it like this.. thanks for the link btw!

CandidConfessions said...

Sure Ruchi, Il share the excel sheet here soon.. its amazingly easy and helpful! Yes, I have done a variation of Pink!

CalvinKailasam said...

The topic is very interesting. However hard you try to escape this its very difficult. The human instincts hit you hard. The urge to enjoy while you have overrides the urge to save for the have nots period. But one thing such excercises will definitely carry one in the right direction.

Invest in and for your dreams. Maybe the dreams might get costlier.

AJ{ax} said...

well...
I see that u'd visited my blog earlier sometime, and i happened to drop by yours today...
Nice article here i must say...Reminds me of what 1 punter apparently said at an IIM, Ahmedabad interview
Panelist : So, why MBA, that too at IIM-A
Student : I wanna make pots of money, retire at 35 and play golf !!!

Boy, wasnt he selected for that !!! Takes genius to figure that one eh !!!

CandidConfessions said...

Glad u dropped by!
Din he do well for himself there!! No more does the school of thought to work until ur late 50s exist! We are past that, arnt v!!