Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Work!!

From the - "I couldn care less" to the - "Oh! I am responsible too!" attitude. Its been a long way. Err, not really!

Amongst all my friends two of us started our respective internships the earliest, barely 3 days after school ended. I woke up today at 5:45 am in the morning which to a great extent was rarity back in Pitts. The last few weeks, in school, I used to get to bed around that time, owing time to my project. And then, I had friends for whom this was a norm! Times were when my friends and I would sleep late even when we did not really have to - doing what we called - timepass! Getting to bed early was not on the cards! On the contrary, here I am making sure that I get to bed early just so that I am fresh for a good 8-9 hours of work. I am sure this is going to be the same for all my friends when they start work.

Moving from school to professional work is a drastic change I would say. What with the erratic sleep cycles and food habits! At work it no longer can be the same. It is amazing how professional work brings with it a sense of responsibility. There are no more wayward decisions! Right from commuting to office to what are my deliverables at the end of the day - everything is thought of. Feels like I am working on a clock. Actually, realizations that I am getting old is hard to come by. These are one of those few times that such thoughts linger around! (yes yes, I do feel getting old makes me more responsible and less reckless!). But after this, I wonder how much of a change I will have to get back to school! School keeps you young and reckless and rollicking!

And change is good! Keep it changing, back and forth! For the good!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.. the work life... its been a while.. :-)
looking forward to 3 months of it again..

i know exactly what u mean about all those erratic schedules. It cant be any harder to switch over to the lifestyle of a "normal" human being again!

shantanu said...

At least you have "going back to college" to look forward to. Your post very much reflects my feelings--especially the getting old part-- as I get ready to start my professional life :(

CandidConfessions said...

Shantanu - Oh yeah! School is a whole lot of fun! And gettin older isn any fun at all!

Zee said...

well........if u work a while u tend to go back to ur school life routine....u end up sleeping late coz u want to max all ur time away from work....and u wake up at godforsaken hours to get to work on time! so if life hasn't come a full circle for u yet...hang in there!

Still Searching said...

Both school and professional life are great in their own ways.. I miss campus life, but I know that I was dying to start working before I was about to graduate... def work life brings in more regularity in your routine, I find myself tryng to sleep by 10:30 or so, something I've never done in years!!

CandidConfessions said...

Yeah, regularity is one thing! If there is one reason I want to work that is for the sake of earning dough!

CandidConfessions said...

@ Zee and Ruchika - I agree! I struggle to get to bed early jus cos i wanna do all that - "timepass" and struggle even more to wake up!

nutty said...

I did it the other way around too .. went from work life to school life and it was exhilarating! You're lucky you still have that to look forward to!

As for me .. since I've already seen work life I am now dreading going back to it! Responsibility be damned.. working and living by the clock is painful!! It seems like every day is a countdown to the upcoming Friday :) But yeah the money that comes in bi-weekly is definitely welcome!!!

The Penny Lane said...

Have been working for almost a year...meetin deliverables are a pain! hee hee
Thanks for droppin by....I love the VisualDNA! it's awesome :)
M gonna put it in mine too...will read u soon :)

CandidConfessions said...

@nutty - responsibility be damned! Truuuuly!

@Penny lane - Thnx for peeking in! And yeah, meeting deliverables on time is annoying! Careless to the responsible team player - too hard!

satyajit said...

what is it that you do? "deliverables" is the only clue

CandidConfessions said...

@satyajit - doin my internship right now...into program management.. if tht answered ur Q..

satyajit said...

candid confessions: ya pretty much did :-)

Anwesha Chatterjee said...

Righto said!!!

Being a professional means learning to discipline oneself and be more responsible. This is espcially true if you are staying away from home. You are accountable to yourself only and while it sounds great, it can be a quite a task!

CandidConfessions said...

@Anwesha!!

Agreed! Quite a task, indeed!!

Unknown said...

Good Luck with the work circle. School is fun unlimited. Make us not want to grow up.

CandidConfessions said...

@Felicity - Thanks! I agree, school makes u remain a kid!