Thursday, July 05, 2007

Mid-week off!

The holiday on America's birthday was more than welcome! Apart from it being another holiday it was a mid-week holiday - which I much liked. I am sure most of you would too. This Wednesday holiday suggested me of many more pleasant soothing mid-week holidays, if at all they were an option! And why not so!? Just when you thought you are out of your monday blues and settle into your tuesday the mid-week wednesday holiday is right there! And just another 2 days and you will be off for the weekend! I could not help but think of all the positive effects of this. There were times when I wanted to just laze at home in the weekends - yet I would take off shopping and partying. With this wednesday off I could do all the resting and lazing on the wednesdays and all the fun in the weekends! Sounds too good! Oh I wish!! Wednesdays would then have been a day for naps, lots of coffee and reading books!

Speaking of which, in the last 45 days I have read 6 books - not a great feat, I am delighted much the same. Ever since setting foot on the US, this is the first time I read so much at a stretch and I am oh so glad! An equal music(Vikram Seth), Animal Farm and 1984(George Orwell), Catcher in the rye, Sidney Poitier's autobiography and Tolkien's The Hobbit. All of them made for an enjoyable and thought provoking reading! I have 2 more to finish before I leave to India. And they being - Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the time of cholera and the other being the much celebrated "The world is flat". I would love to boast and yap about my 8 books feat to my dad! So much for the love of books!

18 comments:

Dhanya said...

Yeh I would fully support u for a "wednesday off" campaign ;)
n so many books? cool :) did u check goodreads for reviews? also when r u coming to India?

CandidConfessions said...

hey yeah I am member there now! Thanks for introducing me to that! And me leavin to India on 29th this month! Cant wait!

Still Searching said...

Oh I was thinking of the same thing yesterday!! I was like, we should have more of these mid-week breaks.. totally agreed! :)

And wow, thats a lot of books... I've read only 4 books in past 45 days :(

Zee said...

there was this one week last yr where we had a friday off, monday working and then tuesday wednesday off......... i have never felt more blissful in life!!!

CandidConfessions said...

Ruchi - We should petition you know!! And 4 books is not bad at all amidst all the schedules! :)

Zee -thats total bliss I agree.. I love these holidays that come on mondays and fridays!

Cool said...

I prefer holidays on mondays/fridays... and loads of them this year in India...
Indian Independence day also on wednesday :)... but i am on leave for whole week :)

Booker said...

ryc- thanks for stopping AND commenting. Appreciate that :-)

and you are spot on with your assessment here. I say More Midweek Holidays!

nutty said...

ah! any day off is good enough for me!

6 books already?!! where are you sourcing them from? and when do you get the time???

Wow! I so envy you!

Nasia said...

Wow!! 6 books in 45 days,, and i m strugglin hard to finish.. 2 books.. Lazy Lazy me!!! ...
Love in the time of cholera.. pls dont beat me up.. i wonder y its called a classic.. i felt like taking bath after readin it.. :-)

Pritesh Jain said...

Nice... :)
We watched 'independence day" to celebrate the same. :)

How is 1984? I have read Animal farm and really loved it. Love in times.. I have with me, just waiting for iCon to finish.

And about taking rest on weekends or mid week holidays - Not at all. How much ever I think of taking rest, I end up doing more on such days. Strange or foolish? I dont know. :)

CandidConfessions said...

dJ- sure thing!!
Nutty- bought all th books.. I like my books! :)
nasia - You are th only one sayin that book isn good!! i shall read and let you know what I think!
and Prits - 1984 is a must read!! Must Must! While animal farm is subtle 1984 hits you right on! And yep, seems like you are an outdoor person!

zoxcleb said...

yeah the mid week holiday was most welcome... i actually had breakfast at 1 pm that day! :-)

a downside i can think of is the feeling that there were 2 mondays in a week.... but the optimist will see it as two thursdays!

6 books! wow... i've read only 1... and 1/4th thru the 2nd one.. with the Harry Potter coming out tho, I will definitely finish 2 before I go to bbay....

Dhanya said...

You have just been tagged..
check http://itsmyownspace.blogspot.com/2007/07/i-know-its-quite-sometime.html for more information :)

satyajit said...

quite a handful of books...how do u manage to finish so many?..i can never do that, am a very slow reader

Lavanya said...

so many books!!! wow... now that is a feat... how did you do it.. i am humbled :)

CandidConfessions said...

@Dhanya - thnx so much... Glad u read my posts :)

Satyajit and Enigma - a couple of hours a day is all it takes!!

CandidConfessions said...

@zoxcleb - U guys on the west are freakin out! where will u hv time for reading!

Vadapoche said...

I prefer extended weekends with Monday off to tide over Monday blues, and when I get Tuesday blues....